Rayquaza Forum-Motion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rayquaza Forum-Motion

A Place For Pokémon Fans

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Current Metagame and Break time

Go down 
+2
Light
chomper
6 posters
AuthorMessage
chomper
Trainer
Trainer
chomper

Female
Number of posts : 466
Friend Code : Fuck Wifi.
Registration date : 2011-01-20

The Current Metagame and Break time  Empty
PostSubject: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 3:01 am

Hi all, first of I just hit rank 1 on PO about a week ago. I fluctuate in the PO ladder around the top 10 for the last 2 months, finally made a move and hit the top spot (only took me about 500 battles lol ). I did hit #1 back in December, then retired, started playing competitive again in feb and now just completed a comeback Very Happy. Tbh I started to lose interest in playing, I dont wanna call it quit because a week later I might get back into playing and LOL at this. But atm im prolly gonna take a little break from playing.

Theres something i wanna talk about, for the last year or so the meta-game isnt as competitve as it used to be. I rmr back in 09 when I started playing wifi, people were competitve as hell, bringing raw-strong pokes to every battle. It gets to a point that if you dont bring scizor/mence/latias/Jirachi you will get a slight disadvantage. You would think that as time passes the game will get more competitive and people will get better right? WRONG. The current metagame isnt as competitve as it was back in the days mainly because of pokegen, now people can make teams within 10min, putting little or no effort into team building and just throw random stuff together without knowing that scizor can sweep their teams. Before pokegen people actually planned out their teams, data-mined, do research about pokes etc because they dont wanna waste time EV training/breeding poke that doesn't fit their teams.

Another thing I wanna discuss is competitive play. Ima be honest here standard or OU is the only competitive tier, UU, RU and lower tiers are side-metagame and for fun battles. If you go on PO looking for RU, chances are your gonna have to wait a bit. I make teams with 1 or 2 lower tiers poke all the time, but i dont overdo it and put BS stuff like vanillux, butterfree, pikachu etc that i know has like 0 competitive value. Theres some lines that I hear around the pokemon community something like "omg this poke is so cheap" or "omg that poke is so OU" or "omg it takes no skill using scizor". Those people so said that seriously needs to quit pokemon. If the poke isnt uber then its NOT cheap, dont let anyone tell you otherwise, people who said that are mostly likely just mad cus they have no counters. It makes me LOL that some of these people actually know these pokes are "So-OU" and yet they bring no counters to it and just sit there and complain.

Anyways like i said earlier im prolly gonna take a break from battling, however if im in a mood I might do some battles as well as trying to help get people into competitive play. Who knows maybe a week or 2 I might get back into full swing again, but as for now Allen is retiring again.
Back to top Go down
Light
Rookie
Light

Male
Number of posts : 94
Friend Code : ???
Registration date : 2011-01-01

PostSubject: Re: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 7:37 am

I look forward to your return Allen! I also completely agree, and support you 100%.
Back to top Go down
Ito le Typhlito
Admin
Admin
Ito le Typhlito

Male
Number of posts : 1901
Ribbons : Fire/Grass E4

The Current Metagame and Break time  My_e4_11
Friend Code : SoulSilver
0605 0667 5485
White
0905 6828 1373
Registration date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 7:14 pm

What you say makes sense. Hopefully everyone can try getting better at battling by the time you come back. Wait...you just retiring from battling. You still coming on right? Well either way, I look forward to battling you again when you return Smile
Back to top Go down
dialga3021
Pokemon Lover
Pokemon Lover
dialga3021

Male
Number of posts : 197
Friend Code : 3782 3834 4342
Registration date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitimeMon May 28, 2012 11:44 pm

i really wish to battle u on PO in a UU match UU is 1 of my favourite tiers and my team has only been defeated once
also what u say makes complete sense,hopefully people will try to battle much more competitively now
Back to top Go down
Ito le Typhlito
Admin
Admin
Ito le Typhlito

Male

0605 0667 5485
White
0905 6828 1373

PostSubject: Re: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 12:19 pm

the thing is that its not like we can force people to use only powerful pokemon. There are people who like using pokemon they actually like regardless of them being outclassed by stronger pokemon. So all we can really do with an outclassed pokemon is to build their team around it and make it do what it does best. It also can add a bit of unpredictability to their team since smoogon doesnt put much effort into finding movesets for weaker pokemon. Just dont expect their team to do as well as the power houses of OU.
Back to top Go down
chomper
Trainer
Trainer
chomper

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 4:06 am

Potito wrote:
There are people who like using pokemon they actually like regardless of them being outclassed by stronger pokemon.

Theres a place for these people, its called UU or any lower tier of their choice...

I dont mind or care if people use lower tiers stuff, I make standard teams with lower tiers pokes all the time. The reason I play standard because its the most active and competitive tier. The problem here is that people ask for standard battles and bring BS crap like seaking, and when they lose they make excuses like "My team only has 1 OU". Honestly I have no idea why these types of people are playing standard, wouldnt UU be a better environment for them? People like that are the reason why this game isnt as competitive as it used to be.

@dialga- yeah catch me on chatbox sometimes and we can play.
Back to top Go down
Light
Rookie
Light

Male
Number of posts : 94
Friend Code : ???
Registration date : 2011-01-01

PostSubject: Re: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 11:50 am

Another thing is people won't accept the fact that OU is the best tier. They ARE the best pokemon to use, and like Allen said bringing lower tiers to a battle with no strategy will lose you the battle. An example of a good Strategy on a low tier pokemon would be a Charizard in the sun. Charizard, Solar Power, Choice Specs, STAB, in the Sun is extremely powerful, but without someone to support him. Someone like starmie as a spinner to get rid of rocks, Jellicent to wall water, or steelix to wall rock. You can't win with all powerhouses, most OU teams have walls.

Idk if anyone reads this but i think it's a really important topic. Allen and other competitive battlers are trying to change this website for the better. Please don't base your team around farfetch'd or spinda.
Back to top Go down
Pawn
Frontier Brain
Frontier Brain
Pawn

Male
Number of posts : 715
Symbols : The Current Metagame and Break time  20px-Tacticssymbol
Friend Code : 0432 5553 5950 - diamond
0819 3370 9446 - white
Registration date : 2011-02-12

PostSubject: Re: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:29 pm

whats wrong with spinda? >.> hes cute.....
and ak has an awesome team based around a shuckle lol
that thing is a nightmare xD
ive seen it do damage lol
Back to top Go down
Chrono
Admin
Admin
Chrono

Male
Number of posts : 1504
Ribbons : The Current Metagame and Break time  Chrono12
Friend Code : 0000 0000 0000
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:42 pm

He's not saying individual Pokemon are bad, it's just if you bring 5NUs and 1 OU to a standard battle which is not very good.
Back to top Go down
Ito le Typhlito
Admin
Admin
Ito le Typhlito

Male

0605 0667 5485
White
0905 6828 1373

PostSubject: Re: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 3:59 pm

You just have to battle smarter when using weaker pokemon cuz theres less room for error for them. Although its rare, spinda can destroy teams. Its hard to do but if you can pull it off on a regular basis and not by luck, then you got yourself a good team.
Back to top Go down
chomper
Trainer
Trainer
chomper

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 7:17 pm

Pawn Pawn wrote:
whats wrong with spinda? >.> hes cute.....
and ak has an awesome team based around a shuckle lol
that thing is a nightmare xD
ive seen it do damage lol

Pawn if you are trying to make a joke go somewhere else, this is a serious matter. Are you really that naive to think that AK is playing seriously with his shuckle team? Hes just trolling with you guys, he finds it no fun bringing his real standard team vs you when all your doing is bringing trollish BS vs him. He doesn't play like that competitively obv.

Potito wrote:
spinda can destroy teams.

I LOL'D. I dont think that ever happened in the history of the world.

Last edited by Allen on Thu May 31, 2012 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ito le Typhlito
Admin
Admin
Ito le Typhlito

Male

0605 0667 5485
White
0905 6828 1373

PostSubject: Re: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 9:29 pm

i seen it happen before to someone else. but like i said, its very rare and difficult to do. not really worth the effort.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Current Metagame and Break time    The Current Metagame and Break time  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Current Metagame and Break time
Page 1 of 1