Rayquaza Forum-Motion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rayquaza Forum-Motion

A Place For Pokémon Fans

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?

Go down 
+2
Chrono
☠Dr Flamedog☠
6 posters
AuthorMessage
☠Dr Flamedog☠
Professor
☠Dr Flamedog☠

Male
Number of posts : 106
Friend Code : 0000 0000 0000
Registration date : 2012-04-26

Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Empty
PostSubject: Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?   Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Though smogon suggests inner focus, I don't see the reason why in particular. In your opinion which one would be better? Inner focus may help in cases like Jirachi and Togekiss flinch but Early bird can help him with using rest combo or wake up early from spores.

PS:Im trying to use him competitively and dont say hes a bad pokemon and such
Back to top Go down
Chrono
Admin
Admin
Chrono

Male
Number of posts : 1504
Ribbons : Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Chrono12
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?   Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 12:57 pm

Well I wouldn't bother with rest on a giraffairge because of his terrible'defence. I would say a calm mind set would bring out the best of him.

I don't think it manners two much the ability on him because they are both not brilliant, but I do like early bird but inner focus does help with the more common flinchers and those ambipoms..... It's down too what you think will be more common in preventing the giraffe to set up lol
Back to top Go down
dialga3021
Pokemon Lover
Pokemon Lover
dialga3021

Male
Number of posts : 197
Friend Code : 3782 3834 4342
Registration date : 2010-12-22

PostSubject: Re: Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?   Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 1:49 pm

i would say personally inner focus cuz its great against things like ambipom but hey just my opinion
Back to top Go down
Light
Rookie
Light

Male
Number of posts : 94
Friend Code : ???
Registration date : 2011-01-01

PostSubject: Re: Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?   Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 6:16 pm

Wellllll, you could use it as a switch in with inner focus. The only use really for early bird is Spore breloom. So you should go with inner focus so you can stay setting up those calm minds. Another good ability is Sap sipper, really helpful.
So if you know what you're facing use what you want. Inner focus is just recommended cause the speed boost off of a flinch is REALLY helpful.

Most people don't realize girafarig has that normal psychic dual typing which grants it an immunity to ghost. Which means no more super effective ghost. The main problem is the base stats of girafarig. You can't properly level it out. It has a good physical movepool but the only stat boosting move for that would be work up. And he doesn't have the stats to set up for that.
So a set i would recommend is:

Girafarig (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock
- Signal Beam

-Psyshock for the purpose of being a stab move itself. It doesn't really have a special normal move with a high base power.
-T-bolt for coverage over flying and water. A good move in the movepool.
-Signal beam would be used for me over a HP move because it hits dark, psychic, and grass, all moves that you don't have coverage over with the other two attacking moves.
It also has 5 base power over HP.

This would be a set you could use IMO, but lemme know if it works! ^-^

-Adrian

Back to top Go down
chomper
Trainer
Trainer
chomper

Female
Number of posts : 466
Friend Code : Fuck Wifi.
Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?   Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 6:33 pm

Tbh smogon doesnt put much effort into the lower tier stuff, their main priority is OU some UU or anything that has competitive uses.

If youre playing in RU or NU its better if you just come up a set on your own, all smogon is doing for lower non competitive pokes is just list a set without any quality control whatsoever just to get a page going, some pokes dont even have sets.

If you didnt know by now smogon main focus is competitive battling, they dont have time to focus on making good sets for those pokes that literally has no usage, thats why they belong in NEVERUSED.

And no adrian inner focus just prevent you from flinches not give you a speedboost. youre thinking of steadfast..

Inner focus is better btw.
Back to top Go down
☠Dr Flamedog☠
Professor
☠Dr Flamedog☠

Male

PostSubject: Re: Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?   Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 12:02 pm

Adrian: thanks I'll probably go with inner focus. But the speed boost is from steadfast, not inner focus. And also I dont play gen 5, but yeah girafarig is just really underrated..I think it works good as a baton passer.

Allen: yea I hate how smogon just does crap like that for weaker pokemon.. and I dont follow smogon sets either because it just makes it really boring and predictable. IMO every pokemon has its uniqueness and uses. (Maybe except farfetch and luvidisc)
Back to top Go down
Ito le Typhlito
Admin
Admin
Ito le Typhlito

Male
Number of posts : 1901
Ribbons : Fire/Grass E4

Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? My_e4_11
Friend Code : SoulSilver
0605 0667 5485
White
0905 6828 1373
Registration date : 2011-01-22

PostSubject: Re: Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?   Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 1:28 pm

I know right? So many pokemon are underrated. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks so Wink. But yeah inner focus is more useful than early bird since early bird doesn't prevent sleep. (if it was insomnia, it's a different story.)
good luck!
Back to top Go down
☠Dr Flamedog☠
Professor
☠Dr Flamedog☠

Male

PostSubject: Re: Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?   Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 4:12 am

And who judges them to be underrated? Smogon. Smogon made most of us think theres the "good" and "bad" pokemon, but at least not for me. But btw I just had my first battle with my Girafarig and OMG he was so beast. I was somehow able to agility 3 times(because he was paralyzed so I had to use agility alot), and use charge beam 3 times(all boosted), and baton passed to my Magnezone and Magnezone now just swept the whole opponents team. This moveset really worked for me:

Girafarig-Leftovers
Ability:Inner focus
Nature:Modest
Evs:116Hp/252SpAtk/140Spd
-Baton pass
-Agility
-Charge beam
-Grass knot

I was using him in OU battle btw. And my friend had a garchomp in that team which is uber.
Back to top Go down
chomper
Trainer
Trainer
chomper

Female
Number of posts : 466
Friend Code : Fuck Wifi.
Registration date : 2011-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?   Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 8:27 am

So wait let me get this straight. Your opponent is giving you 7 free turns? (3 agility, 3 charge, 1 baton pass). I dont see whats so beast about that, im sure any poke can be a "beast" if giving 7 free turns. There are pokes who can end the game if given 3 turns mainly dragon dancers pokes, scizor, lucario etc.

As for your set if you are playing standard there are pokes that can do the job alot better, Zapdos, celebi, gliscor, scizor, mew, jolteon and maybe a few more. As for the calm mind set, theres alot better calm mind users as well, mainly jirachi who can do the exact same thing and alot better overall.

I dont know why you guys are bashing on smogon. Smogon knows what they are doing, its the go to site for most competitive battlers. They dont just put pokes in NU for no reason or make a poke ubers cus people are crying about it, they have a reason for everything for their tiering. Ill admit there are pokes (maybe half a dozen at best) that are underrated but i dont think its the situation here.
Back to top Go down
☠Dr Flamedog☠
Professor
☠Dr Flamedog☠

Male

PostSubject: Re: Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?   Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Icon_minitimeWed May 09, 2012 10:08 am

Okay the opponent did not let me setup, first since I sent my Girafarig out on a pokemon that was asleep from Breloom spore. He also kept on switching his pokes but alot of those pokes couldnt do much damage to Girafarig so Togekiss ended up paralyzing Girafarig and some other poke confused me. He was trying to cripple me with status moves instead of attacking me straight(Now I dont know the reason why, and Garchomp was dead already) But Girafarig didnt hit itself in confusion and was still able to attack the whole time despite him being paralyzed. But after a few charge boosts, he was able to kill Togekiss later on and then I baton passed to Magnezone. But I do have to agree with you that it was out of a little luck. But the setting up while the opponent sleeping was helpful. Girafarig IMO is still a useful baton passer. And I do have my reasons for using Girafarig instead of the other baton passers. And that is mainly because he is normal type which helps out my shedinja. Now dont say smeargle or ampibom or something because I wanted a pokemon who didnt have a fighting weakness since half my team is already weak to it. And he is also half psychic which I find intersting.

Okay yes, smogon is smart in working with all the pokemons tier, moveset, strategy, etc but some just dont make sense. They say Girafarig sucks but Ive been really successful with it for the last 5 or so battles. And Ive used a Shedinja also, which actually helped me win some battles. Not to mention I just battled a person couple hours ago and his team had one uber in it which was lugia and thats because I allowed it. And I actually won having both Girafarig and Shedinja in it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?   Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Inner focus or Early bird for Girafarig?
Page 1 of 1